Tuesday, February 8, 2022

mindful moments


My favorite definition of mindfulness is, "returning to the present." Mindfulness meditation is the repetitive practice of returning to the present moment, of noticing when we are distracted, or thinking about something other than our current focus, and returning our attention to our intentional focus - such as returning to our breath in vipassana. 

Mindfulness can take on many forms, other than just sitting meditation. Being present with the ocean or any body of water; watching the waves undulate across the sand, listening to the ebb and flow, or to the trickle or roar of the fluid cascading sparkle of the water before us.

A walk in nature, a jog, or a run. The flow of a good game of basketball, our minds focused on the present moment, our bodies in rhythm, our hearts in coherence. Creating visual art, focused on colors and textures running from our hands as medium meets medium. The flow of writing as our minds are focused on the turn of words and sounds of pens, pencils, or the keys' clackity clack.

Mindfulness can be practiced at any time, during any activity, in any situation. It gives us a chance to get to know our inner-worlds, to become familiar with our patterns of thought, to familiarize ourselves with our internal dynamics, our relationship with the external world, and to exercise our mental attention and focus on the present.

How much time do you spend rushing your teeth in the morning? Two or three minutes?
How long is your shower; ten, fifteen, maybe twenty minutes?
How much time does it take to shave, fix your hair, or put on makeup? 

I know I tell myself many times, through both my actions of avoidance and my inner-monologue, that I don't have time to meditate or to be mindful, that I lack time for a mindful moment. But I know I really do. What might I be avoiding? Maybe an unseen pain, or an attachment to a pattern or habit that I find comfort in?

We can make a shift to be more mindful, intentionally. Five minutes as we sit down before we eat our lunch. Five minutes after we park at work or after we get home, sitting in our car. Five minutes after a Zoom meeting, five minutes outside in our backyard, porch, or taking a short walk. Do we have five minutes for peace of mind and whole heartedness, for self-compassion and loving kindness? I can make the time. I can imagine myself open to daily mindful moments.

No comments:

Post a Comment