Wednesday, August 30, 2017

Mindful Driving


A few months ago I started to practice mindful driving.  I turn off the radio, no music, no podcasts, just the sound of the air rushing over the car, the engine, the tires gliding over the road, and the other cars around me.  I focus in on my breathing, slowly and naturally breathing in, starting deep in my belly, and slowly exhaling.

Please note that the goal of mindful driving is not to go inward, it is not a replacement for daily meditation practice, but is instead a practice of applied mindfulness.  As said in one of my sons' favorite books, Mindful Monkey, Happy Panda, "Mindful, like your mind is full of the present."  While practicing mindful driving I am more acutely aware; I focus on scanning the road and surroundings.  I can maintain a mindful observation of my experience, rather than getting caught up personally in other drivers' actions or other uncontrollable conditions (like traffic).

I practice mindful driving most often while on the way to work, and I find my thoughts roaming around my work day, around my goals and tasks for the day.  As with my other mindfulness practices, once I realize I am dwelling on any one thought I allow it to flow away so that I can refocus fully on the present.  I find that I gain a greater sense of clarity for the day, without the distraction of the radio.  I have also found myself feeling calmer and my breathing practice fortified.

At first inspired by trying to squeeze mindfulness practice into any small corner of time I could find, driving mindfully has become a daily practice of mine.  Again, this is not a replacement of daily mediation practice; focused meditation practices are like exercises for your mind - attuning to the present moment and being open and flexible, maintaining a sense of observation rather than attachment.  Mindful driving is an application of mindfulness outside of a closed/controlled environment, with the goal of being present in each moment, fully attuned and immersed in the flow of action while maintaining a sense of calm observation.

I encourage you to experiment with applying mindfulness to different realms in your life, remembering that the goal is to improve you ability to focus on the present moment, to be aware and observant, to maintain calm.  Apply your mindfulness muscle.

No comments:

Post a Comment